Wednesday, March 21, 2012

All the pretty people... She's such a b*tch!


Listening to a portion of a speech by Mitt Romney  from last night in which he pointed out that the Wright brothers would’ve been shut down for air pollution and Thomas Edison’s light bulb would have been/has been banned, I realized that when I can’t see Romney but can only listen…  I hear a presidential person speaking in the quality of his statements, words and intentions.  I have not been a Romney fan - but is it possible that I was turned away from him as a candidate in large part because he looks too smooth, too put together?  Have I fallen victim to a reverse type of negative judging of a person with too many positive features?  Have we moved to a place in society where we now have to strive not for perfection in aesthetics, as previously pushed, but to some new, largely unattainable, middle ground balancing act of perfectly mediocre?  Is this life in HD where by seeing everyone’s flaws clearly we’re only comfortable with that by seeing EVERYONE’S flaws, real or imagined? Do we all have to have just the right amount of tarnish to be labeled acceptable?  Are the common thoughts running through all our brains now-a-days about random strangers that we have no inkling of their past  something along the lines of: “look at her, blonde perfect hair, size 2 dress, TCU sticker on her BMW – she is such a bitch…  Bet she only hob nobs with the elites.  Screw her, I hope her and all her sorority sisters get fat.” “Look at him, cocky mother-f***er.  Perfect abs, perfect hair. Perfect Audi. I could NEVER relate to his ‘perfect’ world.”  

We all are painfully aware of the negative stereotyping of our poorer fellows, fatter fellows, etc. and for the most part our democratic, totally P.C. populace, have strived to quit pigeon-holing people in this way.  Heck, we even have McDonald’s commercials celebrating, as is fair and appropriate, the rise of many a burger flipper to a college graduate.  So why are we so vehemently trying to tear down those that are succeeding?  So many of these people who have striven for perfection are now finding themselves constantly being hated.  I’m not excusing those upper elites that we’ve always had with us who act as if the rest of humanity are here to serve them but I am saying that there are many, many of us out there who, in large part due to our past successes as a nation and also due to our individual personal and remarkable achievements, have finally arrived at the goal of success, whether financial or even physical, only to find chastisement and disbelief in our goodness.  We are left in a quasi-middle class, upper class level that actually doesn’t exist – so alone.  And it doesn’t seem so much to me to actually have to do with what’s in our bank accounts as much as what’s in our work ethics that have led to our achievements.  Is any of this making sense?  Does anyone else get what I’m saying?  Maybe Mitt Romney is only an upper echelon yuppie pretty boy. Maybe he just isn’t gritty enough to be president of the United States.  Maybe he has too much money to relate to any of us.  But maybe he deserves a second glance, or let me say, a second hearing.  I don’t know how hard he’s worked for his integrity.  Do you?  Or maybe his voice is just too perfect and I’m a fool.  I don’t really know if he’s my candidate and I’m not really talking about the presidential election here.  I’m just amazed at how wide-spread this American problem of judgment has gone.   Top to bottom and back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment